Sunday 31 January 2010

JD Salinger

When I wrote on my Facebook status 'RIP JD Salinger' - one of my friends wrote:

"He was a fucking crackpot anyway."

Does that mean we shouldn't mourn him?

Salinger is odd. So are his stories. They're supposed to make you feel uneasy. And that's why I like his writing. People always sneer when people expound (expund?) on Holden Caulfield, and tch'ed when Jake Gyllenhaal's character in "The Good Girl" called himself Holden. He's living his DREAM - the dream of being a slightly unhinged literary metaphor.

"You just like it cos everyone else does."

Well compadres, there's a reason a lot of people like one same thing, because it's kind of top notch. Although if I liked something just because everyone else did, I'd be a fan of Morrissey and taking horse tranquiliser. Just saying.

I'm not sure what I'm talking about. It is 4.32am. I fell asleep during CSI: LV - because I hadn't seen Grissom doing some dissection to The Who in AGEEES, and also my TV in my room only has 5 channels. Anyway I failed and fell asleep, woke up at 12.30am and couldn't sleep. Then I received an email from a guy whose tenacity has to be admired. The amount of times I've told him I've had a boyfriend (ok once) - I'll rephrase.

I am obviously not interested, and yet he continues to... hound, would be too strong. It's too pitiful for that. Dogged determination. Does he not know any other girls?

Word of note - Wikipedia quotes are not the way to get into a girl's pants. Just saying.

Anyway - point to this post is - I want to read JD Salinger's short stories in the New Yorker, and I'm pissed I can't because I don't have a subscription.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not SPAM me, MAIL BOTS!